Shelter Restaurant in Tofino, B.C. is favorite among locals and tourists alike. Their rustic menu features the very best fare from area farmers and the freshest seafood available, caught right off the coast. Here, Shelter shares its famous Cortes Island Mussel recipe with Organic Spa Magazine.
Shelter’s Cortes Island Mussels Recipe
1 pound fresh mussels, scrubbed and de-bearded
2 ounces unsalted butter
2 small organic shallots, diced
6 cloves organic garlic, minced
2 ounces Pernod Ricard
Half a bunch curly organic parsley, finely chopped
Salt and fresh black pepper
1. Set a pan or shallow pot over medium heat, and begin sweating your shallots in the butter. Add salt and pepper, and stir frequently.
2. After two minutes, add the garlic and continue to stir for one minute.
3. Stir in the mussels and coat with butter.
4. Add the Pernod Ricard and bring to a simmer, and allow it to burn off for a few seconds.
5. Add half your chopped parsley to the pan, and place a lid on the whole unit, and simmer for two minutes. At this point, all the mussels should be open, and their juices should add flavor to the sauce.
6. Season accordingly with salt and fresh pepper. Then transfer everything to a serving plate and garnish with the rest of your parsley.