Recipe by Chef Matthew Accarrino of Patagonia Provisions.
1/2 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves, sliced thinly
2 onions, sliced thinly
2 leeks, washed and cut into 1/2" dice
4 carrots, sliced into thin rounds
6 turnips, baby white, peeled and slice thinly
2-3 cups mushrooms, shitake and white button work well here, sliced 1/4"
Salt and pepper to taste
1 quart water
2 tablespoons sugar, or more to taste
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, or more to taste
1 tablespoon coriander, toasted and crushed
2 tablespoons chopped parsley, chives, coriander
1-2 tins Mussels, sofrito or lemon-smoked
1. In a large saucepan over medium heat add the olive oil and sweat the garlic, onion and leek with a pinch of salt for 2-3 minutes.
2. Add the carrots, turnips and mushrooms. Cook for 3-5 minutes more.
3. Season again with a few pinches of salt.
4. Add the water, vinegar and sugar and bring to a simmer. Cook for 2 minutes.
5. Add the coriander and taste, adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and allow the mixture to cool slightly.
6. When ready to serve, have this mixture warm or at room temperature.
7. Stir in the chopped herbs, fold in the mussels and their juices. Reseason as necessary, you can even finish with a squeeze of lemon juice.
8. Serve with crusty bread or as an accompaniment to seafood main dishes.