Quick moves to help relax and replenish you at work
Let’s face it, powering through the work day can be tiring. Whether you have had your morning coffee or green smoothie, you still have to make it until the end of those eight hours. Squeeze in an extra 15 minutes of breathing and replenish your energy with these five yoga poses you can do at your desk. They also work well on a plane!
Chair Cat Cow Stretch
• Sitting up straight with feet flat on the floor. Inhale and arch back, looking up, push the belly forward and shoulders backwards. This is the cow position. On the exhale, round the spine, push the shoulders forward and look downwards. This is the cat position. Do this inhale/exhale for five breaths.
High Altar Pose
• Sitting up straight, inhale and lift arms above the head. Clasp hands and invert palms upwards. Lean to the left and hold for five to eight breaths. Repeat on the right side.
Seated Double Hamstring
• Sitting close to the edge of the chair, place both heels on the floor with toes pointed upwards. Keeping back straight, stretch forward on the inhale and exhale on the release. Repeat for five breaths, extending arms out over the knees for a deeper stretch.
Seated Spinal Twist
• Sitting sideways on a chair facing right, twist the torso while holding onto the back of the chair. Lengthen the spine on each inhalation and twist on each exhalation for five breaths. Repeat on the left side.
Seated Knee Squeeze
• Sit facing forward and lengthen the back. Place right foot over left knee. Let the right knee drop down. Inhale and lean forward to stretch. Exhale into resting position. Repeat for five breaths and repeat with the left foot.