Beauty Boost: Skin Care Supplements

By Liz Robins / July 29, 2014
Skin Care Supplements with benefits that target skin, hair and nails

skincare14_beauty boost_feature

Beauty is more than skin deep—and not just figuratively, it turns out.

“Many skin issues start on the inside, much deeper than any topical formula can reach,” explains Howard Murad, M.D., FAAD, founder of Murad, Inc., and renowned for his scientific innovations in the fields of health, wellness and dermatology.

“While topical skincare products are essential for the 20 percent of your skin on the surface, the other 80 percent of your skin can benefit greatly by what you eat and drink, including your dietary supplements,” he says.

The body is constantly replacing damaged cells, so taking targeted supplements can help combat common skin concerns by protecting and promoting cellular health, Murad asserts. Vitamins A, C and E, as well as zinc and pomegranate, are among the ingredients he favors. And there are plenty of others out there with potential beauty benefits for skin, hair and beyond. (Always consult your physician before starting a new supplement regimen.)

skincare14_beauty boost_01Ingredient: Biotin

Potential benefit(s): Healthy hair and strong nails

Where to find it: Natrol Biotin 10,000 mcg Fast Dissolve

How it works: This B vitamin supports the matrix of hair and nails and may help promote shiny, lustrous hair and strong, resilient nails.

Bonus: Biotin helps convert carbohydrates, proteins and fats into energy for cells to use.

skincare14_beauty boost_02Ingredient: Essential fatty acids

Potential benefit(s): Radiant skin plus healthy hair and nails

Where to find it: Nordic Naturals Complete Omega

How it works: Essential fatty acids (EFAs) in this formula control cellular processes that affect skin health, and they help support the skin’s ability to ward off sun damage, premature wrinkles, psoriasis, acne and eczema. EFAs also promote healthy skin texture and hydration—along with healthy hair and nails.

Bonus: EFAs support healthy joints, heart health, positive mood and immune function.

skincare14_beauty boost_03Ingredient: Keratin

Potential benefit(s): Thicker, shinier, stronger hair

Where to find it: NeoCell Keratin Hair Volumizer

How it works: Soluble keratin protein binds with hair to improve strength and luster while reducing hair loss from washing. The formula also contains collagen, thought to stimulate fibroblasts at the hair root, increasing hair-shaft diameter for stronger, healthier hair.

Bonus: Vitamin C and vitamin C-rich amla (Indian gooseberry) round out the formula to help boost hair collagen levels even more.

skincare14_beauty boost_04Ingredient: Resveratrol

Potential benefit(s): Smooth, toned legs

Where to find it: Reserveage Organics Beautiful Legs

How it works: This formula was created to help stave off and lessen the appearance of spider veins. The combination of resveratrol (an antioxidant found in red grape skins), grapeseed extract and citrus-derived diosmin helps promote healthy blood flow, oxygenation, smooth skin tone and vein structure. The herbs horse chestnut, hesperidin and butcher’s broom lend additional support.

Bonus: This product also helps fight occasional swelling related to standing or overexertion.

More Beauty Benefits

Woman with supplement

Pomegranate Extract reduces hyperpigmentation, age spots and sun spots. Antioxidants can help prevent sun damage that leads to hyperpigmentation, and pomegranate extract speeds up the skin’s natural repair system. Vitamin C is included to promote wound-healing and prevent post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. TRY: Murad Pomphenol Sunguard Dietary Supplement

Astaxanthin and Coenzyme Q-10 can help support smoother, more supple skin. Astaxanthin and Coenzyme Q-10 improve the skin’s moisture content and offer antioxidant support against oxidative stress. Also, they help utilize oxygen more efficiently in cell metabolism. TRY: Twinlab Skin Within

Herbs are not only important for overall health and longevity, but they can also help support healthy skin, hair and nails. Triphala and burdock cleanse and detoxify to support healthy skin and lymphatic function, while horsetail offers silica, a building block for vibrant hair and nails. Mineral-rich alfalfa, nettle and gotu kola provide nourishment needed for healthy hair, skin and nails. Astaxanthin, another skin-supporting antioxidant ingredient, rounds out the mix. Gaia’s formula is vegan and contains several organic ingredients. TRY: Gaia Herbs Hair, Skin & Nail Support

Liz Robins
Liz Robins

Latest posts by Liz Robins (see all)