This carrot soup, with its nutrient-rich ingredients, can stand on its own as a healthy recipe. Then add the turmeric and this recipe becomes a wonderful agent to promote healing.
Carrot Soup with Turmeric Recipe
2 tablespoons butter or vegetable oil
2 medium leeks, peeled and coarsely chopped (white and light green parts only)
1 pound carrots, peeled and sliced
1 bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 teaspoon turmeric (add last to minimize exposure to heat)
¼ teaspoon cayenne
1 tablespoon ground coriander
½ teaspoon saffron
4 cups vegetable stock
½ cup heavy cream (or almond milk)
1 teaspoon salt or to taste, if desired
Saffron to garnish
1. Melt the butter in a medium (3-quart) saucepan on medium heat. Add the leeks and cook for about 6-7 minutes or until translucent.
2. Add the carrots, and bell pepper and cook for another 5-7 minutes or until the carrots begin to soften.
3. Add the cayenne, coriander, saffron and mix well. Cook for another minute.
4. Add the stock and bring to a boil. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes or until the vegetables are very tender.
5. Remove from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
6. Working in batches, puree the soup in a blender.
7. Stir in the cream (or almond milk), turmeric, salt and pepper and garnish with saffron.