Who’s Giving Back
THE SEARCH FOR MOTHER NATURE
Seventh Generation, one of the nations top brands of environmentally friendly household products, is setting out to find a “real life” mother nature- an individual inspiring others to care for and respect the earth as mother nature intended. If you know the perfect Mother Nature, share their story in the search at www.seventhgeneration.com/mothernature, for a chance to win a $5,000 green home makeover.
BOOK A TRIP; PLANT 100 TREES
AdventureSmith Explorations is saying thank you to our planet and its customers with their pledge to plant 100 trees for every new traveler booking a journey during Earth Month: April 15 through May 15th, 2010. www.adventuresmithexplorations.com
“PICTURE YOUR WORLD”
iVillage.com and CafePress team up to present the “Picture Your World” photo contest to celebrate Earth Day. The contestant whose photo best answers the questions, “Why on Earth are you saving the planet,” receives a limited edition reusable tote and a chance to win an eco-getaway in the Virgin Islands. CafePress is also teaming up with eco-friendly companies such as SIGG water bottles, to feature individual photo submissions on their products. A portion of proceeds will go to CarbonFund.org.
EBAY GREEN TEAM CHALLENGE
Log on today through Earth Day and an acre of rainforest could be saved instantly! As long as you take the challenge and commit to protecting our earth, eBay will keep its promise to protect an acre of Mexico’s rainforest. www.ebaygreenteam.com
Natural disasters are striking at a rapid rate, but many companies are taking action to help struggling communities in countries of desperate need. Bazura Bags is one of these companies- devoting 5% of sales to the relief support of a Women’s Cooperative in the Philippines, after the devastation of the 2009 Typhoon. As one of the first distributors and marketers of the Cooperative’s bags and accessories (produced from used juice containers), Bazura Bags is committed to “giving garbage a new life” and supporting fair trade. www.bazurabags.com
Communities Giving Thanks to Mother Earth
GIVING THANKS WITH STYLE
Join in celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Earth Day in style at New York’s, Juliet Supper Club. Caravan Stylist Studio, Joonbug.com and BlackBook introduce the first nightlife celebration of sustainable fashion and home goods with top eco-minded fashion and interior designers around. www.joonbug.com
BEAR MOUNTAIN STATE PARK
Join the festivities at Bear Mountain State Park to celebrate our planet this year. Bring the whole family to Trailside Museums and Zoo for games, activities and helpful tips to protect our Mother Earth. www.palisadesparkconservancy.org
Don’t forget to take your pooch to The American Cancer Society’s Bark For Life walk on May 2nd.
A CELEBRATION IN THE BIG APPLE
Join one of the largest celebrations in the world in Times Square, New York from 11am to 2pm, to honor our Mother Earth this year. Festivities will be led by some of the greatest environmental activists, business leaders, government officials and entertainers in the world. Learn more at www.eday40.org
Glynwood, “the creative action tank,” is celebrating Earth Day with the launch of a new division devoted to creating real solutions to the food and farming problems in the U.S. today. Go to www.GlynwoodInstitute.org to learn more about the initiative and plan behind the Sustainable Food and Farming division.
A GREENER AMERICA
In honor of Earth Day, local communities and big cities such as Washington D.C., are asking Americans to take the challenge that could ultimately direct $300 billion towards a more sustainable society. The “Green Economy Challenge” urges all Americans to transfer 10 percent of current spending to green purchases. Learn how this country can create more jobs, save money and support local communities by going to www.greenamericatoday.org
If you’re having trouble transforming to the “greener” side of society, have no fear. Visit www.earth911.com/earthday, where 40 new tips on reducing, reusing and recycling are offered, in honor of Earth Day’s 40th Anniversary.
BUY CLEAN ENERGY
Give thanks to our planet this year with the vow to purchase clean energy. Visit www.buycleanenergy.org to find renewable energy providers in your area then, proudly, add your name to the roster of clean-energy supporters.
DEDICATE ONE DAY
Rodger Schlickeisen, President of Defenders of Wildlife, is asking for your help. Dedicate a day of service to our wonderful Earth and the wildlife it sustains by April 22nd, to help Defenders of Wildlife reach their goal of 40,000 pledges. Every action counts. www.defendersofwildlife.com
WWF EARTH HOUR
Since 2007, The World Wildlife Fund has begun a movement consisting of 5 million supporters and over 100 countries in which one hour during Earth Month, all lights are turned off: Raising awareness and creating a voice for individuals who care about reducing their carbon footprint on this planet. Join the movement. www.earthhour.org
Green Products Honoring Our Planet
TYING A KNOT ON BEAUTY
Standing by their pledge to knot test on animals, knot over-package products and to knot harm the environment, LUSH Cosmetics has come up with a pretty fitting solution. To celebrate Earth Day and Mother’s day, LUSH is replacing traditional gift-wrap with stylish, reusable scarves made from recycled or vintage fabrics. www.lushusa.com
NATURALLY CLEAN CLOTHES
Small changes make a big difference. Get rid of the harsh chemicals and say thank you to our planet by using products such as Earth Friendly’s ECOS laundry detergent. This detergent has a natural coconut-based softener and cleans one load of laundry with only 1 ounce so you can conserve, naturally. www.ecos.com
Eco-conscious skin care professionals at jane iredale continue to do their part to protect our planet earth. Purchase your all-natural pressed powder in this new re-usable, sustainable compact made from anodized aluminum- the “green” finish. www.janeiredale.com
THERE’S A BURT IN ALL OF US
For 25 years, Burt Shavitz, co-founder of Burt’s Bees, has celebrated his respect and love for the natural world through the creation of this eco-friendly beauty company. To help Burt celebrate the 40th year devoted to our planet, Burtify yourself! See yourself in the beard and hat of one man making a difference in our world of beauty. Click here to see the earth-friendly potential in you!
CARBON OFFSET TREE PACKAGE
There’s no better time to plant! This year, Organic Bouquet is offering a ten-pack tree sapling package for $36.99, from April 22nd through the 30th.
TREAT YOUR COMPANION
The Honest Kitchen introduces a new, all-natural treat for your cat or dog made from fish, and nothing but fish. Products derived from sustainable and responsible fishing management and packaged in biodegradable bags. What better way to thank the planet, and your pet? www.TheHonestKitchen.com
Quick Tips for a Happier Planet and a Healthier You
GREEN HOME: Tips from Steve Mathews, certified green real estate expert
• Ditch the old window air conditioners: Chances are, a newer model is more energy and cost efficient.
• Paint with non-VOC paints: They’re better for the environment and not considered hazardous waste.
• Re-finish your current wood floors: Save trees and reduce your carbon footprint without having to worry about transporting new wood.
• Install a storm door: It helps with a steady temperature in your home and natural light during the day.
• Use energy star appliances: They cut greenhouse gas emissions and save on your utility bills.
GREEN LIFESTYLE: From L’OREAL Paris’ new eco-friendly hair-care line
• Bring your own mug to the café
• Pay your bills online
• Use energy-saving compact fluorescent light bulbs
• Recycle your hair- Matter of Trust uses hair to help clean oil spills
• Try going vegetarian- one less meat-based meal helps! See www.wannaveg.com for tips on a healthier diet.
GREEN GIVING: Some of Organic Spa’s Top Picks for Earth Day
• Goldfish Garbage Bag: Unique and biodegradable. www.seltzerstudios.com
• Dark Certified Organic Chocolate: Give back to the endangered species of our planet. www.vanishingcreatrues.com
• Flip-Flop Doormat: Vibrant colors, made from repurposed sandal scraps. www.gaiam.com
• Everyday Tote: Get rid of the plastic bags. www.econscious.net
• Saving the Earth Tee: Make a statement with a blend of organic cotton and recycled plastic bottles. www.revengeis.com
• Plantable Journal: 100% recycled office paper with a recyclable cover that actually grows when planted! www.findgift.com
• Ginkgo Tree-to-Be: Plant one of the oldest ornamental trees known to our planet. www.gifttree.com
• Be Good To Your Mother (Earth) Reusable Cotton Tote Set: Natural lip sheers in post-consumer recycled aluminum tubes. www.sephora.com
• Snapdragon Bamboo Grow Box: What an easy way to bring the colors of spring inside. www.itsonlynaturalgifts.com
• Hemp Bungee Bone: A durable, 100% hemp canvas toy for your furry friend. www.olivegreendog.com