Image Courtesy of Organic Grill
We love pumpkin and we can never get enough pumpkin pie this time of year. Lucky, we’ve got insider access to the best organic vegan pumpkin pie ever, and we are sharing the recipe with you! You won’t want to miss a bite, compliments of Julia Chebotar, owner and founder of New York City’s popular East Village vegan restaurant, Organic Grill.
Organic Grill’s Vegan Pumpkin Pie
- 6 Tbsp organic coconut oil
- 1 ¼ cup whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ tsp salt
- 4-6 Tbsp ice cold water
- 1 tsp agar powder
- 2 cups organic pumpkin puree
- 2 cups mashed organic butternut squash
- ¼ cup organic maple syrup
- ¼ organic brown sugar
- ⅓ cup organic coconut milk
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- 1 ¾ tsp pumpkin pie spice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
1. For the crust, add flour and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk in coconut oil.
2. Next add ice cold water a little at a time. Only add as much water as you need to help it come together.
3. Once a loose dough is formed, refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
4. Once your dough is chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees F and prepare pie filling.
5. Add all pie ingredients to a blender.
6. Use a rolling pin to gently roll it into the shape of your pie pan.
7. Once you get the crust into the pan, work the crust up along the sides.
8. Pour filling into pie crust and bake at 350 for 55-65 minutes. The crust should be light golden brown and the filling be a bit jiggly and have some cracks on the top. Remove from oven and let cool.
9. Slice and sprinkle with brown sugar and torch with creme brulee torch for 15-20 seconds. Then serve with coconut whipped cream!