If you suffer from common digestive troubles like acid reflux, bloating, constipation, gas and colon distress, here are our Top 10 Tips for long-term tummy relief:
1. Chew like a cow Digestion begins with the sight and smell of food that stimulates your saliva to flow. Saliva holds enzymes to help break down your food into usable energy. In order to make this process work properly, chew at least 21 times before sending that bite down.
2.Hold the water (the pop and tea, too) It’s tempting to grab a drink with a meal, but fluids can dilute your stomach acids and prevent proper digestion and assimilation of nutrients. Hold the water 20 minutes before and after meals to allow your body to digest properly.
3. Take a swig of cider Too often, we don’t produce enough digestive acids to break down our food properly. Consider taking a swig of apple cider vinegar before each meal to aid in this process.
4. Sit with happy people You can relieve a whole lot of meal time stress by asking “What was the best part of your day?” versus “How was your day?” The first questions definitely anticipate something good to talk about, and that will save you some serious indigestion.
5. Make a fist Portion sizes have gotten out of control. If your stomach can only properly digest a portion the size of your fist, what happens to the rest? It’s more likely to turn into your tummy ache, gas, bloating, constipation, and later…fat.
6. Good-bye to the midnight snack Eating late sets your body up to stop the normal process of organ cleansing that is greatly needed and instead forces the body to concentrate on digestion. If you must eat late, drink a smoothie. It’s a lot less work for your system to break down blended foods.
7. Movement matters Getting up to walk after a meal helps send oxygen through the body to aid in digestion. Avoid the nap on the couch, lace up, and head out.
8. Follow the Indian path Ayurveda practices include warming spices that allow for the stomach furnace to burn food into fuel, and help move food through the digestive tract with ease. Consider “Swedish Bitters” or spices such as Cumin, Curry, Turmeric, Cayenne, and even Cinnamon.
9. Give up the gum Chewing gum can create an adverse digestion issue in your mouth, by not only wasting needed enzymes on pointless chewing, but also, depending on what your gum (or mouthwash and toothpaste for that matter) are made up of, can create an acid condition in your mouth which could deplete your natural enzymes altogether.
10. Enzyme magic Since enzymes are crucial to making food usable as fuel for the body, adding enzymes to your diet may just help your body increase its nutrient intake. Take the enzyme test to see if you have challenges digesting fats, carbs, or proteins. enzymedica.com
Rebecca Reynolds, Certified Health Coach & Drugless Practitioner, & Founder of Green Clean. To reach Rebecca for personalized health coaching, contact her at Rebecca@greenclean.biz, or www.greenclean.biz.
> OSM Blog
> OSM Homepage
Like what you see? This article was included as part of our eWellness Living newsletter. Subscribe for free today!