When the topic of “clean living” comes up, most of us focus on healthy, mindful eating and exercise. What many forget is the impact that the indoor air we breathe has on a clean, healthy life. Take a moment to think about the dust, dirt, allergens and potential toxins in the drapes, knickknacks, carpets and rugs in your home. Below are five simple yet impactful tips you can take to really ramp up your clean living.
1. Steer Clear of Dusty Drapes Whether you are an allergy sufferer or not, wood, metal, vinyl, or plastic blinds are much easier to clean than drapes. To keep your home’s air clean just wipe them down regularly with a microfiber cloth or duster. And if you do have drapes, dust or vacuum the rods or valances first, then clean the entire length of the drapes.
2. Air Purifiers No matter how well you clean, dust and allergens seem to find their way into your home. A good air purifier is your first defense when it comes to controlling and removing dust and allergens from the air you breathe. The GermGuardian® AC5000 3-in-1 Air Cleaning System is equipped with five powerful levels of air cleaning that capture allergens, use UV-C light to kill common germs and bacteria, kill airborne mold spores and fight unwanted odors. This model is perfect for both the home and the office. And GermGuardian’s® AC5250PT 3-in-1 Pet Pure™ Air Cleaning System features all of the above plus a special Pet Pure™ Filter to help fight unwanted pet odors.
3. Mattresses & Pillow Allergen-Reducing Covers If you are allergic to dust mites or wake up with a stuffy nose more often than not, you may want to consider using allergen-reducing covers for your mattresses and pillows. These are zippered in and help keep dust mites at bay. Just wash the covers in hot water a few times a year and you’re good to go!
4. Humidifiers Low humidity levels in the home or office can cause dry skin, irritate your nasal passages and throat and make your eyes itchy. Use of a humidifier allows you to add moisture to the air in rooms where you need it most, especially if you live in a very dry area of the country. PureGuardian® offers a 90-Hour Ultrasonic Humidifier with both Warm and Cool Mist (H7550). It even monitors the humidity level in the room and adjusts accordingly to maintain a consistent humidity level. And unlike other humidifiers that grow slimy mold on the water tank surface, the ultrasonic humidifier uses Silver Clean technology™ to fight the growth of mold and mildew on the surface of the water tank.
5. Stay Away from Cheap Furnace/Air Conditioning Filters Cheap filters for your furnace or air conditioner do little to prevent dust. Pleated filters with a higher MERV rating (mean efficiency reporting value) are a good choice, but don’t exceed your furnace’s abilities and be sure to consult with your furnace technician if you are unsure of what type of filter to use.
Slider image courtesy of Lotus Head.
For more articles like this, visit our Green Design category page!
> OSM Blog
> OSM Homepage
Like what you see? This article was included as part of our eWellness Living newsletter. Subscribe for free today!