Amaranth Cakes, from Going with the Grain
1 cup organic amaranth grains
2 tablespoon diced onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 1/2 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoon gluten-free all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon chopped basil
Oil, to fry
1. Place amaranth, onion, garlic and stock in a saucepan. Bring to a simmer, cover and reduce heat to low. Let cook until all liquid is absorbed, about 40 minutes.
2. Transfer cooked amaranth to a bowl and let cool.
3. Once amaranth has cooled, add egg, flour, and chopped basil. Mix well.
4. Heat oil over medium-high heat about 1/4-inch deep in a wide skillet. Drop two tbsp batter per serving into the hot oil. Let cook until browned on one side, about two minutes, then turn to cook on other side.
5. Remove from oil and drain on paper towels. Season with salt to taste.
6. Serve with tomato sauce or salsa.
Makes 15 servings.
Recipes from of Bob’s Red Mill Natural Foods